The amount of solar power you need to power your home really depends on what your goals are.
Are you trying to wipe out your electricity bill completely or are you looking to capitilize on the option to sell solar power back to the utilities?
How to start
- You can install as many solar panels as you like, but what is practice for your property
Are you looking to reduce your dependence on fossil fuels by going all solar? Are you looking for another source of revenue while increasing the value of your home? Solar power systems are an investment that pack a punch. They accomplish several goals at the same time. It’s a choice that you can always feel good about. But how do you where to start with choosing the size of a solar power system?
There are several questions you need to ask yourself.
- How much rooftop space do I have?
- What size of solar power system has my energy retailer approved me to install?
- Does your desired system size comply with state and federal feed-in tariff criteria?
- How much do I want to spend? (The cost to go solar)
- How much money do you wish to save on energy bills, or for that matter, receive each month for selling excess energy?
Keep in mind, the panel sizes vary in wattage. You can get panels which produce 170 Watts or you can get panels which produce 250 Watts plus. So keep an eye on the total system wattage, not the amount of panels.
Often the capacity of the inverter will be larger than that of the total solar power system’s. The reason is to allow for more solar panels to be added without having to buy a new inverter.
The best way to determine the size and design of your solar power system is to have a certified solar installer do a site assessment of your home. The solar installer or experienced sales representative will be able to give you a more accurate assessment and quote.
Are you ready to get started? All you need to do is complete our short online form and you will receive initial quotes from professional solar companies in your area. You can also arrange to receive a free home assessment.
It’s a good idea to have your electricity bill ready for the site assessment.
What the locals are saying
- We've assisted over 60,000 Americans's migrate to solar power. Join the rooftop revolution.
We highly recommend American Solar Quotes
Our solar panels are absolutely lovely! They look amazing and we were so pleased with the work we had done and the professionalism of the workers. There is no way we could have found such great installation people without American Solar Quotes.
- Learn about what the most optimal direction that your solar panels should face to maximise solar efficiency
By 5 star rated American solar companies